Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"Where Has All the Granola Gone?" and Other Frustrations

I'm not sure this can really be called a MoFo post.

What if I mention the pumpkin ginger and carob bread, and the pumpkin granola I made this morning? I would have pictures. Really, I would. I had every good intention to take them, but I didn't because... I have a rather sad amount of granola left and the bread isn't ready to be posted yet. I need to tweak the recipe a bit.

That said, this isn't much of a MoFo post, but I wanted to take a moment just to vent my recent frustration.

Inside my head I am a fairly vocal vegan. But on the outside, I am calm: I don't scold my omnivorous family and friends, I don't go around preaching my beliefs whilst shoving my opinions in others' faces. I like to think I can be pretty unbiased when I want to be, and that I don't let certain comments and practices from others bother me.

But there is only so much one can take. I'm sure you know what I mean. I can't stand being patronized, told that I'm wrong because my opinion is different, or looked down upon when it comes to veganism (when it comes to anything, really, but I'm keeping this strictly about veganism).

Lately I've run into all of these things, and more than once. I often feel like I can't even defend myself or I'll end up hurting someone's feelings or making them angry. And the more I try to keep it to myself, the more frustrated I become with everything.

I know why I am a vegan and I am a person who sticks to my ethics and beliefs. So, in a way, I think these experiences and the anger that comes from them is making me stronger rather than deterring me. Last night was the first time I stood up for myself, and for veganism. Needless to say, it left the other party a bit dumbstruck. Not necessarily just because of what I said, but because I said anything at all.

Don't worry; this is still a food blog. But I guess I should just get it out there that I may have a post or two like this in the future.

I have a day off work tomorrow which means I will be baking all day. And eating all day. And hopefully photographing everything before it disappears.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this.
    I feel the same frustration all of the time. I, too, am the kind of vegan that keeps myself to myself and I don't go around telling people they need to eat the way I do. But it certainly is hard when there are people who don't understand veganism and think that they have to defend themselves for it. Good for you for sticking up for yourself!

    I hope you have a lovely day off too! Days spent baking and eating are the best days in my world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful that you stood up for veganism; I look forward to your posts about such times! Keep at it! :)

    ReplyDelete