Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Hours of Bread-Making


I'm an early bird.

I'm also a light sleeper, and it's definitely not one of my good traits. I get cranky when I am up in the ungodly hours of the morning. Lets face it: no sane creature should be awake at these times. Unless you are a nocturnal creature. But I am not.

After glaring at my clock with venom in my eyes (why couldn't it be a different hour!), I forced myself up and decided to do something productive with my time: make bread. I much prefer to make my own bread. I'm not sure what it is, but it sure is rewarding. My hands get all sticky and I get flour on my face which adds to my lovely morning appearance, if you hadn't guessed.

Well, it's not so rewarding when it doesn't turn out well. This particular loaf was a tad gummy. I've never had this problem before so I'm blaming it on my bad mood. You will notice the misshapen, raggedy, falling-apart slices in the photo above. It looks kinda cool, though. Cool to look at, not to eat. Bah!

The only solution when you end up with some less-than-perfect slices is to make bread crumbs. They are definitely a good thing to have on hand. Especially with Thanksgiving coming up... I think I could put them to good use.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for being productive though! I'm the same way - light sleeper and hate mornings (the only good reason to be up that early is if I've been up all night). But I'm NEVER productive...I just whine. Or read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have inspired me to have more productive insomnia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hooray, another early bird/light sleeper! I get crappy results too when I'm cranky because of insomniac aftershocks.

    ReplyDelete