Saturday, October 8, 2011

Honesty is the Best Policy, or I'm Just Bragging


I was never very good at lying.

Unless of course we're talking about those times during my childhood when I would blame my younger sister if I broke or stole something. But that doesn't really count.

So I'll just confess: I ate an entire batch of these oat squares today. Yeah. I'm sorry about that. I'm also sorry I didn't realize I should be photographing them until I got down to the last three. The third one doesn't make an appearance because I was eating it while I was taking photos.

You understand, right? That is why this photo was taken so sloppily. I was thinking about making them again another time and replacing this picture at that time but... I don't know if I should do that. It could be dangerous. Maybe it's just because I love oatcakes, pumpkin pie spice and apple cider. A lot. But for caution, note that you should probably not make these while you are alone as I did.

I don't mean to brag, these are just very addictive.

Spiced Apple Cider Oatcakes

1-1/2 cups rolled oats
1 tbsp. vegan buttery spread
5 tbsp. unsweetened apple cider, plus more, if needed
1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp each ground cloves and ground nutmeg)
Salt, to taste
Pinch baking soda

Apple Cider Glaze:
1 tbsp. apple cider
~1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
Cinnamon, to taste

 Preheat over to 350 degrees. Put oatmeal into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Add pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda.

In a small saucepan, melt butter with apple cider; pour over oatmeal mixture and mix to form a moist dough. If it's too dry, add more apple cider, a teaspoon at a time (I needed a scant teaspoon).

Lightly oil the underside of a baking sheet and knead dough into a ball. Flatten with your fingers, or roll out into a 1 to 1/2-cm thick square. Cut into squares and ease them apart a little. Bake 30-40 minutes, until crisp (make sure they don't burn like a few of mine did, oops!).

Whisk together glaze ingredients and drizzle over hot cakes. Let cool on the baking sheet, or maybe just tst one while it's still hot. Proceed to devour the entire batch.

4 comments:

  1. haha! I'm sure I would do the same thing in your place. From what is left, they look insanely good!

    I'm a huge oats anything fan, especially sweet oat bars and cakes, so I definitely will have to try this recipe if I can get my hands on some apple cider. Which actually shouldn't be too hard with me living in the state of a never-ending apple supply during this season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I definitely do the same thing! I had to stop my husband eating the cookies I made for MoFo the other day because I hadn't managed to photograph them yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I've done that before with breakfast cookies.

    ReplyDelete