Monday, October 10, 2011

Apple Pie... Cake


People think I'm crazy because I don't really care for cake, but I've always been more of a pie girl, myself. It's that age-old debate: pie or cake (I'm certain it's been debated since cakes and pies existed)? I will always choose pie because I love the crust—even more-so than the filling. I told you I like crunchy things, didn't I?

But today is about cake. And apples. Heaven knows I haven't blogged about apples already this month. I have a thing for apples especially in pies because they are such a versatile fruit. They work in most any preparation, in savoury or sweet recipes, and even as a condiment (I need to get on the apple butter-making train, ASAP).



When October comes around, I am eating apples pretty much every day and often buying more than I can manage. Since I had some apples that were going bad, I decided there was no better way to use them up than to make something with them.

Don't ask me how I ended up with cake. I just came across the recipe for German Apple Cake in The Joy of Vegan Baking and I knew I had to make it. I think it looks gorgeous and tastes just like apple pie. Don't tell pie I said that, though.

15 comments:

  1. Your cake looks delicious. I'm going to have to try this recipe next time I have some girlfriends over for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks delicious. I love apples as well. I made some apple pear butter so good can't wait to make more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely does look gorgeous!
    I have never really cared for neither cake or pie, but I would probably choose cake over the other - even though I'm with you on the crunchy thing. This is a great combination of the two though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks amazing! in the cake vs pie debate i was always team cookie, but i've definitely been eyeing the pie side more lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks beautiful, what a great way to use up apples!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't tried that one yet, but now I feel compelled to. so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious. And gorgeous! Cannot wait to try it.

    PS - I've always been a pie girl, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made that last week and was disappointed that it wasn't more cakelike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good. There are definitely times when I can't decide between the fruity goodness of pie and the squishy wonders of cake. I'd never thought to combine them before. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was looking at your cake and thinking, hey! that's the cake I just made! :D

    Mmmm... I know for a fact that this cake is delicious! I've made it twice now, I made it last year (and we ate it all in one day) and I made it this week.

    I have to say, I'm team cake (especially chocolate cake)... but there is a place in my heart for apple, cherry or pumpkin pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I love baking cake more than eating cake. People always think I'm crazy when I say that but I enjoy myself SO much when I'm baking something, there's no taste in the world that can beat the joy I feel while baking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've tried this one and it is delish! Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these pictures so much! It looks perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete