Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Too Many Apples, But I Won't Complain

You guys know I love apples right?

Of course I love them all-year around, but there is something about an apple in Autumn that makes it special.  It's not an icon of this season for nothing, you know.

We have an entire drawer-full in our refrigerator dedicated to apples right now. Today, on this dark and rainy day (yes, another one of those) I decided a nice apple-y treat would be nice. Too bad it doesn't call for more apples though! One apple doesn't quite clear out a drawer-full.

Oh, and I finally landed a job as a receptionist. It's not my dream job, but you have to start somewhere, as they say. It will definitely take some getting used to, but I think I'll be able to handle it in time. Tips from any current or former receptionists, perhaps? I only plan to work for a year before (hopefully) going to college next Autumn.


Soft Apple and Almond Cookies
Not sure where I found this recipe. I'll update this if I find out.

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup vegan buttery spread
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 flax 'egg' (1 tbsp. flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp. water; let sit at least 5 minutes to thicken)
1 cup applesauce
1 apple*
100g ground almonds

Preheat oven to 335 degrees (I know this sounds like a weird temperature, but it worked just fine for me).

In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; set aside. Wash and core the apple (you can peel if you want to but I didn't), then cut it into small cubes.

In another mixing bowl, beat 'butter' and sugars until creamy. Add flax 'egg' and applesauce and mix until combined. Stir in the flour mixture, then ground almonds and cubed apple to form a soft dough.

Drop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets and bake, in upper and lower thirds of the oven, about 20 minutes, or until golden. Allow cookies to cool 2-3 minutes on the sheets before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely.

Just a note that I ended up with three cookie sheets of cookies, so for the third one, I just baked on the middle rack, and it only needed about 15 minutes to bake.

*I used a medium-sized Gala apple, but any apple would work here, I think.

3 comments:

  1. They look lovely, I don't think I've ever made apple cookies. If you had time, you could make your own apple sauce and use up a few more apples!

    And congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies sound delicious. I'm a huge apple fan, especially when they are fresh and in season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that apples are great no matter when, but autumn apples are the bee's knees.
    congrats on the job, Alicia! I hope your dream job is in the very near future to make it all even better.

    ReplyDelete